[UK-CONTEST] ARRL DX CONTEST SSB

Steve GW4BLE GW4BLE at btconnect.com
Mon Mar 7 11:34:12 EST 2005

To UK Contest.

Question - With such support for the RSGB 80M events, which is all very well
of course, why so little interest in the major international contests from
UK Contesters?

The following cut'n'paste from 3830

                 ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: GW7X

Operator(s): GW4BLE

Station: GW7X

Class: SOSB/15 HP

QTH: Newport, Wales.

Operating Time (hrs): 31

 Band  QSOs  Mults

-------------------

  160:

   80:

   40:

   20:

   15: 1285    58

   10:

-------------------

Total: 1285    58  Total Score = 223,590

Club: CONTEST CAMBRIA

Comments:

Saturday

--------

Started well with VO1MP 1st QSO at 10:28, followed by VE5UA/6 with a loud
signal at 10:51 and first USA contact with KC1XX at 10:54. Slight pause then
for a half-hour of so until the rest of East-Coast starting coming
through...

No real rate at all, with just 400Qs by 16:00 or so, then.... by 16:15 the
floodgates were open and some good rates (at last!) Last Q at 20:38 with
N4FD making a total of 1249 contacts (gross) and 57 mults.

Less dupes, that made 1237 contacts.

Sunday

------

Oh boy!   I had *hoped* there might be an opening to Canada again (maybe
catch

some VE6/VE7 VE8 ??) so got on the band early at 09:30. Bad mistake!  I
called CQ and S & P for SIX HOURS and made no contacts, then got called by
K5ZD at 13:30 and K5NA at 13:59.  TWO CONTACTS IN SIX HOURS - What sort of
"rate" is that. HI. HI.

Then, suddenly at 16:14 N7DD appears with a *huge* signal from Arizona
calling CQ; worked him and then had my own "pile-up" for next half-hour or
so with around 30 Qs. After that, there were a few Qs here and there,
sometimes skew

path over South America others direct.   Last Q was with K0HA at 20:54 - it
was

a dupe, but so were a few others around that time; I guess a few called to
see if they still had propagation to Europe - that was fine, good to know
you are still being "heard".

So, ended with 1304 Qs (less dupes = 1285) and 58 Mults. (missed DC, LAB,
NWT & YT).

Rig: FT1000MP / L7

Ant: TH7 @ 15M, A3 @ 7.5M

Writelog 10.52F