[UK-CONTEST] BERU 2005 - P3J

Alan Jubb - 5B4AHJ g3pmr at shacklog.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 07:48:38 EST 2005

Hi all

Here's my claimed score for the Open Section of BERU 2005:

P3J              80m      40m     20m     15m    10m    Total
Valid QSOs:   65      189       246      176      49      725
Bonus:             15        44         51        35       19      164
Score:           625    1825    2250    1580     625   6905

Setup

FT1000MP + Quadra

C3SS at abt 10m for 10/15/20

40m inverted Vee, apex about 6-7m up

80m inverted Vee, apex about 12m up.

Logging with Writelog v10.53E

Highlights

Really enjoyed the contest

Exceeded my previous best BERU score of abt 3600 pts

Being called by VK9NS on 40m

Lowlights

Generally poor condx. 10m the worst I have heard it in my 2 years in 5B. No Gs heard on 10m until 0815z Sunday. Amazing. Probably should have visited 10m more often.

Wasn't sure what to expect on 80m, not having operated 80m overnight before in 5B. Put up (very low) inverted Vee on Friday, ends in empty building plot either side of QTH. Band very noisy, better earlier.

Murphy struck Saturday am, had to move the 80m ant, as the JCBs turned up to start on the empty plot next door!

Writelog scored nil points for QSOs with 9M6, M0, M1, M3, M5, (also Mx0 etc), 2E0, VA, VC.

After 99 Qs, WL keyed the rig permanently on. WL then crashed, blue screen of death (not seen since moving to XP). Had to reboot PC twice to clear. Sunday AM, same again, this time rig stayed permanently keyed even after 2 reboots and turning rig off/on, when WL running. Had to remove the CAT cable and revert to the ETM-9X keyer in order to continue.

Conclusion

Great contest. HAd 45min sleep at 033z, otherwise did full 24hrs.

Agree with Bob 5B4AGN regarding suggested change to operating freqs on 80m.

My bonuses way down compared to others. Need to spend more time next year hunting down bonuses.

Still a beginner in contesting!

Thanks to all for the Qs and the fun.

73

Alan P3J (5B4AHJ-G3PMR)