[UK-CONTEST] 80M CC Contests

Lee Volante lee at g0mtn.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Nov 19 19:46:11 EST 2005

Hello Ian,

> I guess I hadn't realised that contests were supposed to be easy.
>
> 73 Ian G3WVG

You're completely right - contests are not meant to be easy.  However, as
one of the supporters of this particular change in the 80m CCs,  I hope I
can explain a little of my personal reasoning for why I'm happy to see the
change. To quote yourself from January this year....

> Happy New Year...
>
> 80 was very noisy with me (in Surrey) and UK Stations were , with a few
> exceptions, weak and watery.  But activity  seemed high with most of the
> usual suspects wkd.
> Finished with  100Q's using a TS930 running 100W and a dipole at 60ft.
>
> 73  Ian G3WVG

What might your post have read if you were running 10 watts, to a dipole at
around 20 feet ?  If the prime focus of this contest is to motivate new
entrants, everyday radio club members, running average stations, then
removing the risk of poor propagation should remove frustration and bring
more people 'into the running.'   Most people can work the 'usual suspects',
but the many summary sheet comments mention not being able to work folks
through lack of useful propagation.  There are plenty of other events in the
calendar where entrants are need to operate in challenging conditions.

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, and after next year's events the overall
feedback might suggest we change things back to the way they were, or to try
yet another variant. But from the number of negative comments concerning
propagation from most of the six January 2004/5 CW/Data/SSB events, the
change will hopefully be preferred by the majority.  I admit at least one of
these events was coincident with an aurora which exacerbated the problem.

e.g. "If all contest were as hard as this was I would give up radio
tommorow. Conditions were terrible"
"Got the feeling that many gave up by 21:00 hrs as condx bad."
"Never had so many stations who couldn't hear me!"
"About the kindest description of inter-G conditions was 'dire'! Several
were unprintable"

There are plenty more to read on rsgbhfcc.org - they don't exactly inspire
running the event the same way next year - or perhaps for entrants to carry
on for the rest of the season.

Also if propagation is favouring skip into Europe, then there's possibility
of upsetting the other band users who could be forgiven for hoping that the
band segments would be free of contest activity and QRM outside of the
weekends.

The above comments are all my own and not representative of any committees
etc. etc.

73,

Lee G0MTN