[UK-CONTEST] Input from G3TBK - 21/28

Andy Cook, G4PIQ g4piq at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 18 14:19:41 EDT 2006

I've favoured the contest within a contest approach for 21/28 running within
the CQWW event, but offering local awards, including the a sub section like
the current Restricted Section (which could also be time limited). I do
believe that there is strong demand for a competitive section for folks with
100W and single element low antennas in the UK representing Joe amateur. Now
having a family I also understand the calls for time limitations!

Back in the early '90s I won the SSB event a couple of times (actually took
1st and 2nd place simultaneously each year as a 2 operator multi operator,
changing callsigns and paper logbooks on the hour - me on 21 MHz and G4BAH
on 28 MHz!) and ran 1100-1200 QSOs at the peak of that cycle. I've also won
the SSB event single op (with more hardware incidently) during the peak of
the last cycle and run 600-700 QSOs. The casual support just isn't there for
a UK works the world contest anymore - the UK activity doesn't support it -
even at the peak of the cycle.

73,

Andy, G4PIQ.