[UK-CONTEST] IOTA mult-checking, etc

Chris Tran zl1ct at gm7v.com
Thu Aug 17 09:59:19 EDT 2006

Hello all

I don't know of *any* contest logging software that currently handles the
IOTA mult checking particularly well.  For example, Writelog tells you if
the typed-in IOTA reference is a new mult, but the 'Show Multipliers' window
is dismal - 10 tiny boxes beside the IOTA ref which change to yellow when
worked - you have to count across 80 SSB, 80 CW, 40 SSB, etc - useless
because Mult moving decisions have to be made in seconds - while the QSO is
actually in progress.

WinTest - excellent software which we used in IOTA this year - the
networking seems to have been fixed, only had one glitch - vaguely like CT
but colourful and with lots of sophisticated features - but - does not
handle IOTA Mults well either - it produces a large list of worked mults
which you have to scroll up/down to find the needed info. Again too slow to
deliver the info.

DX Cluster - I wish Chris G3SJJ would stop telling us what we can or cannot
discuss here on this reflector. I subscribe to the school of thought that
the DX Cluster has 'de-skilled' our contesting (and DXing) to a noticeable
degree - it's use should be discouraged at every opportunity. Sadly the
trend seems to be in the opposite direction - I guess because contest
organisers are unable or unwilling to disqualify those who claim to be
Unassisted but use the DX Cluster ?

It's worth remembering that many Single-op stations now use a computer
network - either for separate PCs for some forms of SO2R, or to have a
'live' backup PC online for the whole contest. Networking is an essential
feature of any contest logging software.

73
Chris
GM3WOJ