[UK-CONTEST] Further to Generators...

Cooper, Stewart coopers at odl.co.uk
Wed May 31 05:27:17 EDT 2006

I would always opt to have the shack as close to the house as possible (or in it) and live with the feeder losses. Heliax is easier to obtain than hi-spec mains cable, you'll not put off going out on cold mornings and it's more secure. You'll soon be looking at a kitchen, toilet, bed, etc. in the remote shack. A remote shack might become quite expensive. I have to walk about 75 ft to get to my shack, which is outside, and I find that difficult some days!
Another angle might be to remotely locate the equipment in a small (cheap) shed, and control it using a computer and VOIP. You do then have a mains drop problem though. Then your shack could occupy very little space inside your house. This has the advantage that you can get a static IP address and even operate remotely at lunchtimes from your work, or your laptop anywhere using Wi-Fi!
For me, the issue is not 'where to put the equipment?', it's 'where do I want to sit?'.
73
Stewart