[UK-CONTEST] PL259 Plugs

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Fri Nov 10 15:32:11 EST 2006

Ray

I expect you bought the cheapo nickel plated ones. I recently bought
silver plated, PTFE insulation from a well known West Country supplier
and the extra cost is definitely worth it.

If you must use the nickel plated plugs, it's worth filing out the holes
a little to make it easier to solder.

More importantly, I would NEVER use a PL259 to carry EHT, because it's
easy to connect the pin while the shell is still floating. Yes I know
you'd never connect or disconnect with the power on, but it's not worth
the risk. N or C types are fine for this application.

Dave G4BUO