[UK-CONTEST] Club Calls - G0KPW

Darren Hatcher darren.hatcher at btopenworld.com
Sun Nov 12 07:13:59 EST 2006

Normally use G4MRS at Martlesham Heath (which is a noisy QTH). So this year
a change of QTH a few miles away further north at a more quiet location at
G0KPW was welcome.

Conditions seemed pretty good, although I normally operate in a noisy
location so anywhere else is better.

Good number of stations out there, only worked one 2E0 (remember when they
were bonus points?), but generally a good mix of grades of license. Didn't
get a good run frequency until 15 minutes in, and by then was 20 behind the
usual suspects. Attracted a few Dutch and German stations for a few "001 &
N/C". Worked EI, G, GW, GM, GJ, PA, DL but no GI or GD.

Lots of Shirehampton, Horsham and Newbury club members, which is good to
hear.

124 raw QSOs at the end but there are a couple of dupes.

Used FT1000D bare-foot, dipole at 25m and an attempt at a one wavelength
beverage E->W (which had mechanical troubles due to rain/wind). Need to work
a bit on the that for next time.

One of the quirky things about this contest always is the wide range of
'operating styles' in use - this is not CQWW and in my view that's a good
thing for this format.

We personal view of the format is I think we should consider abbreviations
in the exchange, i.e. ARS, RS, CG, RC, etc. This contest was originally
about getting club members on the low bands when no other similar UK contest
was around (only 80m AFS). Now we have 80m CC in place, maybe this should
have a tweak?

Thanks to Bob, G4BAH, who kindly let me use his station.

73, Darren - G0WCW