[UK-CONTEST] 80m CC's and the data leg

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Sat Nov 18 17:19:44 EST 2006

Well it's nice to have stirred up some debate, though shouldn't everyone
be preparing for the major CW contest of the year, now less than a week
away? That's where I've been for the last day and a half, helping put up
antennas at the new G0KPW site in Suffolk.

I must point out that these are my views and have not been discussed
within HFCC.

Think of it like this: some people consider snooker and darts to be
sports - the media report on them as though they were, but they sure as
hell don't figure in the Olympics and they really don't fit a
common-sense view of what constitutes sporting endeavour. Well to me,
RTTY is analagous to snooker and darts. Datamodes sure as hell don't
figure in WRTC.

It's not just the original posting which wanted to change the format of
the contest exchange to fit the software; we've also had comments in the
past about how great the RTTY contest was because someone could read a
magazine or watch a DVD at the same time. Would anyone even think of
doing that during a phone or CW contest? And the suggestion that there
are people using MixW or similar to decode CW exchanges won't fly.
No-one who was remotely serious about CW contesting would do that, yet
on RTTY you have to do that (unless you're G3SJJ). And just because it
is becoming more popular doesn't automatically mean it's any good. I
believe Big Brother is popular on TV.

In case you think it's just this grumpy OM who finds he doesn't like
RTTY, an 18-year old in our club did the 80m CC datamode events for a
while but found he didn't like them either. And a year or two ago, when
G3GVV was running the radio club at Tonbridge School, he asked me to go
and give a demonstration of RTTY and PSK31 to several of the club
members, schoolboys in their teens. He felt that they might be more
attracted to datamodes because of the technology; but their reaction was
that it was impersonal and didn't have the magic of talking to someone
using the mic. Frankly, however much you automate datamodes they are
going to looke pretty feeble compared with an Internet chat room. We
should be emphasising the fun of radio communication, rather than
focussing on getting one computer to talk to another computer over radio.

I've tried RTTY contesting and I've found I really don't like it. I'm
not saying abolish it - ham radio is a broad church, that's one of its
great strengths but RTTY contesting really feels to me (and from the
mails, plenty of others as well) like darts, compared with the sports of
phone or CW contesting. Perhaps the 80m datamode events could be run in
the same slots as now, but count towards a separate RTTY CC, rather than
being lumped in with phone and CW?

Dave G4BUO