[UK-CONTEST] Macs, PCs& Linux

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Sun Nov 19 18:15:48 EST 2006

Hi again all,

This contribution is with my computer scientist hat on instead or as
well as the mac addict hat !!! ...

On Nov 19, 2006, at 9:33 pm, Bob Henderson wrote:

> I have no idea whether the problem is in the USB standard or in the
> way XP
> treats it. Even less idea whether Mac would be an improvement.

A bit of both I would say ...
The USB standard  does provide for different types of connection,
able to source different levels of power, for one thing - so this is
not an operating system issue about whether particular devices need a
"powered port" or not.  However it is a matter for the O/S to deal
with the situation when a port is unable to supply the required
power, and crashing or not booting is not the best (nor in my opinion
an acceptable) answer.

The Mac operating system OSX is generally much more robust than
Windoze - and this is true in the sense that if I plug a power hungry
device into one of the low power USB connectors provided on the
keyboard, a dialogue box pops up to tell me to plug it in elsewhere!

The other thing to bear in mind and which I have always considered
better about Apple is that because they make the hardware and the
operating system and lots of the application software, you can expect
and generally get excellent interplay between these layers.  It will
always be harder to achieve this on the PC with Windows.  When the
layers work better together, the user experience is better.

>> Windows is way, way short of perfect but it appears you've
>> either fallen victim to problems unseen by me or you're 'hot to
>> trot' for
>> a very time consuming project ;-)

Just to clarify, in my previous mail to this thread, I mentioned
CrossOver and VMware for completeness rather than because I was
recommending those options for Clive's situation.  Boot Camp and
Parallels solutions are pretty much lightweight solutions and IMHO
would not result in the conversion of hobby from Radio to Computing !!

In fact one of the reasons I insist on Apple/OSX at home now is
because at work I spend most of my time fighting with the so-called
productivity apps on Corporate Windows boxes during the day and
refuse to spend my time when I get home and at weekends doing the
same.  I just want my computers to work so that I can get on with
using them.

On Nov 19, 2006, at 12:21 am, Clive Whelan wrote:

> I do understand that pure emulation suffers from a serious
> speed overhead, and it is interesting that the Mac OS will
> shortly address this issue, by permitting the running of
> pure Windows on its hardware. However, I must say that does
> make me nervous, since surely the inadequacies of Windows
> are a part of the OS itself, and therefore would be
> replicated in all their "glory" under the Bootcamp system
> you describe. Of course, I'd be delighted if you could
> disabuse me of this point of view?

Well I won't be exposing my Boot Camp partition to the Internet for a
start!
I agree though that even running just a few select Windows apps under
Windoze on Apple hardware won't  improve the quality or robustness of
those apps or that operating system but will prevent the latter from
affecting the rest of your computing experience (when in OSX) !

> If however I am right, it seems that there is little short
> term alternative but to stick with Windows machines, or at
> least invest in a 2007 Mac, and enjoy its far superior OS
> for garden variety applications such as WP, Spreadsheet,
> Database, but still be able to run Windows( specifically
> contest logger) applications at the ( I agree small)
> inconvenience of rebooting.

Indeed - and with a Mac, booting to Windows for your contest logging
may well be one of the few times you reboot at all!
But you don't need to wait for a 2007 Mac - the ones out now are
ready.  I am only waiting because I am just buying a new house and
not saving my pennies for computing kit at present!   Boot Camp works
fine now - You will only save £90 if you were to later update to the
newer OSX version in 2007 by waiting until the update is out and
hence bundled with the Mac!

73,
Jonathan G0DVJ