[UK-CONTEST] Hf Convention

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 10 05:22:52 EDT 2006

I agree with John. Disappointingly I spoke to one attendee over the
weekend and he delighted in saying that he "doesn't do North" I thought
that kind of bigoted attitude was past. Jim, your door to door journey
from Edinburgh to Gatwick / Convention would have taken less time than
my drive, so really only the cost comes into it, and I would agree the
additional £100 over my petrol costs plus an additional night would
start to make it look a bit costly. So it comes down to available funds
in the end.

Just loads of people to chat to. Contesters and DXers. New friends, old
friends. I was honoured to be approached by several Contest Reflectees
whom I had not met before. We  enjoyed a good laugh together. Thanks
guys. I got an invite to join G5W for CQWWCW. Chuffed about that. Oh,
and the red wine didn't stain my shirt (phew). (Not my fault, I was
nudged by LA5HE.)

The programme was good for me. Don G3XTT and Marios 5B4WN gave an
excellent presentation on IOTA adjudication. K4UEE's 3Y0X video was
brilliant. The WRTC presentation was also very informative. Bob GU4YOX
was as ever a great master of ceremonies at the Dinner. Lots of memories.

Perhaps the most disappointing aspect was the inability of the current
president to recognise standard callsigns when reading out raffle prize
winners. Typically G Forty BK. Perhaps Jim, you might invite him round
for some basic operating lessons.

Chris     G Thirty Five JJ