[UK-CONTEST] BERU 2007 - GM3WOJ etc...

Chris Tran zl1ct at gm7v.com
Thu Mar 15 12:10:23 EST 2007

Hello all

My preparations for BERU were completely out of proportion to the results -
I decided to use this contest as an incentive to re-establish most of the
antennas at this QTH. Conditions were 'average' from here, but activity
seemed boosted by the team competition. Made 245 QSOs for 4615 pts overall -
80 and 40 were the weak link this time.

Setting aside Dave's smokescreen about whether or not GM should be a
separate entity (of course it should be - maybe even should have a separate
ITU callsign block - we have more autonomy than many other 'countries') - it
is hard to disagree with Rob's questioning - for some the appeal of BERU is
that the rules have not changed in years, but as with most things it should
evolve.  Thoughtful re-structuring of the rules would retain the 'DX
contest' appeal, yet make it more interesting to everyone in the UK who
thinks a QSO rate of 10-12 an hour is not really the best way to spend 24
hrs.

Lastly - an apology - as a rare participant in CC contests, I remembered
last night's event at 1957hrs - rushed into the shack and switched on the
station, including my amplifier. During a chat on the phone afterwards Gavin
mentioned that the rules specify 100W, and I said 'Oh'   So - apologies to
anyone for QRM - even though I was just giving out points it does not help
to run QRO for this.

73
Chris    GM3WOJ