[UK-CONTEST] BERU 2007 - GM3WOJ etc...

Peter Hobbs peter at tilgate.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 20:49:53 EST 2007

> My interpretation of the rules is that there is a 24 hour section and a
> 12 section. Within that, and I am not sure why, is Open and Restricted.

> 12 Hour UK section  . . .

Struggling a bit with your interpretation here, Chris.  The 12 hour format
is popular all over, as seen from recent entries and for all sorts of
reasons.  If you restrict recognition of it to the UK, it's not going to do
anything for the overseas entry.

Anyway this is all rather academic, because there is no longer a section for
12 hour operation; there are now Open, Restricted (LP with single element
antenna) and Multi-op Sections, within the first two of which 12 hour
entrants are identified.  This change was made after a lot of  discussion in
the HFCC and history likes to give new arrangements several years to bed in.
That doesn't stop the adjudicator listing all the 12 hour entrants in a
separate table, outside the main listings (as happened last year for the
JD), but to do that comprehensively, under UK, Overseas, Open and Restricted
headings - no, too much.

But in my view, initiatives such as the team competition and travel awards
are far more valuable in generating activity than any combination of
sections or prizes.  What people want is more stuff, more exciting stuff to
work.  Whether they want to spend 12 or 24 hours doing that is really up to
individual taste.

> Also, very
> few of us are really that bothered about seeing a full 24 hours prop

Not sure who all these people are who are not that bothered, Chris.  If I
happen to prefer 12 hours, I need to decide on the hoof which 12 they are
and the rules here give me that flexibility.

> we might be
> forced to be slicker and need to send CC so as not too waste too much
> time!

I think I only heard one station calling CC - just doesn't have the same
ring to it - might as well call CQ test which is even shorter.  I just hope
some PC (read interfering) type doesn't add "appropriate guidance" in this
area to the rules.  Not so unlikely as you may think - a few years back, I
kid you not, the following appeared: "all entrants must ensure their
transmitted signal is of good signal quality.  Any station receiving
frequent or regular signal reports of T8 or less will be liable to
disqualification"  Where shall we put the boot in first, chaps? . . .

73, Peter G3LET