[UK-CONTEST] BERU

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Fri Mar 16 09:28:56 EST 2007

G3SXW wrote:

>> I'm not sure I understand what the objective of this thread is. After
>> every contest there seems to be thread which discusses change. Chris used
>> the word evolve - same thing. Do we want to make BERU a rate contest, or
>> make it more attractive to new-comers? I see no mileage in either course.
>> It is what it is. To force increased rates would involve allowing more
>> people to work more people. Who? The Commonwealth entrants would be lost
>> in the mush. There are already plenty contests using this formula. And
>> although I appreciate that the hobby needs new-comers, BERU is not a
>> contest for new-comers.
>> This was my first 'entry' but it wasn't my first cruise around the bands
>> during BERU by a long way. BERU is unique in contesting terms I think, and
>> the status quo seems like a good formula to me.
>> FWIW
>> 73
>> Stewart
>> GM4AFF
>>
>I agree, Stewart. It's interesting that several reported to this reflector
>that it was their first BERU and that they will be back next year. Good
>news! Leave it alone. It ain't broke.
>By the way, I've noticed that rule-changes are always specifically designed
>to benefit the proposer!

GMs might benefit from such proposals too, but most of us are against
the idea. Me too, for the same reasons as Stewart .

It really doesn't matter that we are organising an international contest
that can't be won from here. That is just how things have worked out,
from having had lots of colonies in faraway places.

What brings the majority of G stations on the air is not the contest as
such, but the chance to work some DX in a relatively QRM-free
environment. Gerry did just right to play up that angle in his article.

The benefit to UK contesting from that so-called "casual" activity is
that it's where the next generation of UK contesters will come from.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK