[UK-CONTEST] Improving CW Capability

Danny Higgins danny.higgins at keme.co.uk
Fri Mar 30 13:17:30 EST 2007

Many years ago (30+) when I was at Racal we wrote a program for the PDP
which would send random 5 letter groups.  You entered your target speed
(e.g. 35 WPM) and your starting speed (e.g. 25 WPM).  The letters were
generated at the target speed but sent with longer gaps to meet the
starting speed.  If you typed the letters correctly the speed would very
gradually increase (the gap between characters decreased).  If you made
a mistake the speed increase would stop and the letter that was wrong
was weighted so that it occurred more often.  After a while (if you got
things right) the weighting would gradually return to normal and the
speed would slowly start to increase again.  This would either get your
morse up to your typing speed or your typing up to your morse speed (and
hopefully improve both).  I converted this to BASIC for the PC about 20
years ago and sent it in to RADCom, but the response I got was that
members would not be interested in typing in 2 pages of BASIC commands.

Danny, G3XVR