[UK-CONTEST] SHORT CONTEST CALLS

Dez Watson g3ww.dez at virgin.net
Fri Nov 30 08:33:02 EST 2007

Clive,

The reissuing of SK calls is allowed, in fact last year Ofcom relaxed
their policy on reissuing of callsigns,
details below:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/amateur/information/transfercallsigns.pdf

Furthermore, it may be possible to retain your existing callsign.

In the old days, when we paid for our licence(s) I continued to keep my
old Class 'B' G8 licence
active, in addition to a G0.

Some years later, when Ofcom introduced the no-fee licence,  I
relinquished the old G8 for G3WW,
(it was a painless procedure) I still retained the G0. This was made all
the more simpler after the former
Class B licences became Full licences.

I would suggest anyone wishing to retain their G0/G3/G4 etc... _and_
have a contest/vanity callsign should
first of all eqnuire about getting their old Class B reissued to themselves.

As for short calls in the Mxxx series, I believe the Home Office may
already be assigned a significant number in this block, e.g
M2KR, M4BR

Perhaps it is best to lobby Ofcom for vanity calls the G0xx, G1xx, G7xx,
G9xx blocks first of all.

73

Dez

Clive Whelan wrote:
> <snip for brevity>

> Clearly I could never have GW3NJ unless reissue of SK calls is allowed (
> although I suspect Gx3NJ was in fact never issued?), but equally clearly
> Gx0xx, Gx1xx,Gx7xx, Gx9xx and their M and 2 equivalents are available.

<snip>