[UK-CONTEST] NON-ROPOCO

Stewart Rolfe gw0etf at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 7 03:51:41 EDT 2008

Clive GM3POI wrote:
> ......................................................While we are at it
> what is wrong with working outside UK if the station sends his post code
> i.e. in the form D42678 not that we get too many EU callers.
> 73 Clive GM3POI

There's a comment on the 2006 Ropoco 1 results page that overseas
callers *can* be included ("..the rules do not specifically exclude
overseas QSOs..").

In the same resumee is mention of previous postcode 'disasters' as well
as the following:-
""..Another common query was "Why hold the contest so early on Sunday
morning, instead of later in the day when propagation may be better and
more stations would be around to work?" The time was set specifically
when the event was designed because it doesn't interfere with those who
go to church, or who like a formal Sunday Lunch with the family, or who
like to watch TV, and also because QRM to and from other band users,
especially overseas, is minimised...""

This would make an interesting exam essay question - "Discuss how this
statement is an accurate portrayal of the typical modern British family
in the 21st century"........Personally I don't mind the early start but
would prefer an alternative time if it meant more participants; just for
this year I admittedly did go and watch TV since the Olympic torch
procession rekindled memories of the Wales grand slam with the quality
of the blitz defence..

73, Stewart GW0ETF
(LL57 4DR)