[UK-CONTEST] VHF Contesting Activity

David, G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 9 06:44:16 EST 2008

I have been reading the bleats about lack of VHF contest activity under
the subject heading ARS 144MHz. Let us be honest, tinkering with small
rules changes is not going to do much. look at the whole contesting
scene from a possible newbie view and you will see why I think tinkering
with the rules will have minimal impact.

If I was a newbie contester then would I go for VHF or HF contesting?

On HF I get a tremendous choice of contests with lots of activity. I do
not need anything special to have a fun time. Now look at VHF just from
recent emails it is saying to get QSOs the newbie needs a big antenna on
a big mast with a big amplifier for just one band. (I will leave out the
QTH with an all round negative horizon.) That is a lot of cost and
effort. Much better to go in for a HF contest with 100 watt rig and a
G5RV. Or other HF contests when such a set up will give multiband at not
much cost/effort and the newbie will work all over the world as the top
contest stations are really keen to work the small stations especially
on the 2nd day of a 2 day contest.

So what does the newbie contester do? He/she goes for HF contests. The
world has moved on with all classes of licence now having access to the
HF bands.

On a personal note I do have a reasonable set up for 2M with excellent
rig, antenna and amplifier, but I might enter one 2M contest a year. HF
is more challenging with much higher levels of skill required and as a
result more rewarding. I enter seriously 6 to 9 HF contests a year and
practice on many more. I have already filled the family 2009 calendar
for HF contests I want to enter so the XYL knows in advance. There are
no 2M entries - they just do not offer the same level of challenge and
reward as HF does.

If you want VHF contesting to thrive then first work out how to increase
the challenge and the reward. May be replace an existing HF and an
existing VHF contest with one that links 2M and 80M together so to win
or score well need to do reasonably well on both bands. For instance add
together the multipliers for both bands times number of QSOs. Could be a
club/team event. May be have both bands in use at the same time
encouraging SO2R operation, M2 and team entries, etc. Start thinking
creatively to take in the current situation as the previous VHF captives
have long gone to HF. May be the very popular RSGB 80M weekday evening
club events by mode could include a VHF element as well widening appeal
and the challenge.

David G3YYD