[UK-CONTEST] VHF Contesting Activity

Jiri Culak Jiri.Culak at lwss.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 07:01:41 EST 2008

Hi David,

Interesting reading but I wouldn't say that HF contesting is more
demanding on skills and is more rewarding.
That is single point of view and I did contests on both parts of our
spectrum and they are all demanding, some of them more technically,
Some of them in different ways.

Most of contests in EU (now back to VHF/UHF) are done club / field day
style. Germans, Czechs, etc.etc. just take a kit on Friday afternoon, go
to local or remote hill top and set up good station. Lots and lots of
portables. In here, there are few die hard groups keeping this alive
(G0VHF/P,G8P,G5B etc.etc.)
When I go to local club, last time when they did field day was in 2002
and they are too lazy to commit to do it again. I think this is part of
the trend too. It's just too much of hassle to do it for most and its
actually much more easier to stay indoors and play on G5RV.
May be there could be way forward in rules in encouraging more hams
going portable.
May be local clubs can try going out on Tuesday night, but not to local
pub but to local spot with reasonable VHF Takeoff and simple
antenna/radio setup.

In UK AC we have two sections, SF and Open. Open means you go out on
hill top and compete against multi ops. I would like to see some more
sections (OK now have 2 main and three sub sections).

A: Single
	A1 - SOHP
	A2 - SOMP up to 100W
	A3 - SOQRP - 10W
And same with multi ops. Why not add (P) portable section? I remember
taking 7el tonna on roofrack with 2m pole, going to Barkway and working
jo60 square with 50W.

Yes, idea of 80 + 2m contest is quite a new point of view and would
demand both technical and operating skills for participants but may be
it would be too demanding on location?

73

Jiri