[UK-CONTEST] 144 mhz contests

PeterTribe ptribe at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 18:00:46 EST 2008

Interesting comments about VHF contesting so I would like to add my
tuppence worth.

The problem with most of the VHF contests and 2m  contests in particular is
that they are so predictable. The few well equipped stations that are well
sited will "win" everytime. What we need is a variety of formats. We have
12 monthly contests which are quite popular but they are the same every
time. Perhaps we should have 4 contests as they are now, 4 post code
contests and 4 contests with large square multipliers - say x2 for those in
IO61,62,63 etc, x1.5 for IO70,1,2 , x 1 for IO80,81 etc, x 0.75 for IO90,91
etc and X 0.5 for JO00, 01 etc . This would even it out a bit though the
IOM would have quite an advantage. The other problem is that they are all
on a Tuesday. For some of us that means we can hardly ever enter because of
other commitments. Previously we had a series on every weekday with I think
either the best  3 or 4 out of five counting. That way you could miss one
or two without losing out.
The AFS could be hugely improved to make it a proper club contest by
registering each club in advance - like VHF NFD but not the site just the
call sign/s.  This list could be published in advance on the VHFCC web
site. Registered call signs could be worth 10 pts, unregistered UK call
signs 5 pts and if any overseas amateurs call in then that contact could be
worth 1 pt.  There would be no points for contacts between members of the
same club. This would make really worthwhile to get UK calls and not just
pointing beams east which at present is such a huge advantage for East
coast stations.
These are just a couple of ideas "off the wall" but variety is the spice of
life..

Peter Tribe  Reigate ATS   G5LK/G0VVE