[UK-CONTEST] 19" Flat screen monitors

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 18 13:07:12 EST 2008

Hi Dave

Yes it's definitely the monitor, as it also has an internal power supply.

I checked carefully that it wasn't on the video lead to the computer,
and then I hung as much ferrite as I could on the mains lead to no
avail, so it's probably direct  radiation. It's quite different to
previous monitor QRM I've experienced ( though I've never had any
trouble with an LCD before), inasmuch as it's a series of weakish
discrete carriers, and on 21Mhz only ( no other band inc. WARC). As I
said previously if the band were jumping I might not have even  noticed
it, but once I had, it became intolerable on a virtually dead band.
Interestingly when the monitor goes into power saving mode, and the
screen is blanked, than the carriers completely disappear. It's
obviously a resolvable problem, but life is very short

I'm not much of a telly watcher, and have always resisted having a TV rx
in any other room but the lounge. However I always find that some soccer
or rugby match or other is on as I sit down to eat, and I end up running
back and to ( my Northern speech habits coming out there!) into the
lounge to see the action replay of a goal or summat. So therefore I'll
probably park the LG in the kitchen/diner , and make a mess of my shirt
front while I'm watching the action!

I'll post my findings here in due course.

73

Clive
GW3NJW