[UK-CONTEST] AFS CW - G3LET

Peter Hobbs peter at tilgate.co.uk
Sun Jan 13 17:16:38 EST 2008

A rather lazy entry due to lack of preparation time - just sat on 3512 until the last few minutes, but it appeared that most of the real players were running SO2R and "found" me anyway.  I usually try S&P or look for another slot after 5 minutes without a QSO,  but didn't bother this time and persistence was often rewarded with a bunch of callers after a lean streak.  No real problems on the frequency.

Total 263, but there may be dupes - 95, 76, 55, 37.  As well as 5B4AGN and UA9s with excellent signals, I was called just before the end by what sounded like an auroral VE1VK but couldn't complete between the clicks of adjacent CQers.  Conditions held up well, with only some nearer stations starting to fade after dark.  The GMs seemed to be doing particularly well, right from the start.  Quite a few new stations, which is all to the good.

Usual sloping wire antenna strung at 145 ft down to the shack, with a few radials out to the NW.  All hand logged and keyed, but lack of practice often showed!

73 and thanks to all for the QSOs.

Peter G3LET