[UK-CONTEST] What type of antenna wire to use?

Mike Harris mike.harris at horizon.co.fk
Mon Jun 23 15:45:33 EDT 2008

Hi Stewart,

Here by the sea I've only used multi strand pvc covered wire.  1.5mm sq.
or 2.5mm sq. the stuff that is used in conduit.  Someone had a clear out
and chucked some part (nearly full) reels on the rubbish tip.  The thing
to be careful of is relieving the strain at the transition from half
element to feeder.  However, wind fatigue might not be a problem at your
QTH.

We used bare seven strand cad/copper stuff on the big TX Rhombics (1100ft
long), it took shrapnel in '82 to chop 'em down.  Spliced with the old PO
type wrap splice.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO