[UK-CONTEST] CW Technology Debate (CW Skimmer)

David Barber david.barber at dbelectronics.co.uk
Fri May 2 10:26:00 EDT 2008

Hi Colin

Yes, seen this before. (American Data versus CW experiment video)

I have no bias either way but do feel "contest competitors" should compete
on a level with each other.  Sadly, as we know, life is not like that!

Could all those sending at 40-60 wpm do it on a straight key?
How many can copy "real content" at that speed?
How many use auto sending for CQ, etc?
PC based lookup, logging and serial generation.

As I see it, the question is not about the latest technology nor is it
restricted to the CW operating format.  It is whether dissimilarly equipped
stations should compete at the same level under the same rules for the same
prize.

To use the car racing analogy, even though the expertise of the driver and
mechanics might be comparable and the track the same, one would not have a
touring car racing against a F1 unit.

So the question remains.  Whatever is decided how is it to be policed or
should we just get back to it being a fun hobby?

David