[UK-CONTEST] Comments from a G3 (again!) 5nn and all that!

Roger Cooke g3ldi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 25 13:43:55 EDT 2008

Hi.

  I am another Luddite, just like Tom! We could ask Dr. Who to take us back to those "good old dayd" when we used 10 watts ONLY for NFD, used a paddle or even a straight key ( heard of those?) and loggers. ( Not Canadian lumberjacks, but people actually keeping a check log! ). As for the 599 or 5nn as it is now, this will never change! I have problems trying to convince non-contesters of the sense of what I do when entering a contest. It really is very difficult to justify! The satisfaction obviously comes with the experience of operating a contest!

  Anyway, back to normality again with the automatic stations....   Now I have no problem with all of this. What really p....s me off is the way that amateur radio in general is going. There seems to be a trickling down into normal operation of this "5nn, tu, 73" type of operation, from what can only be described as mundane stations - even as mundane as a G3!!

  If I call CQ, I do not expect a "two button" QSO from somebody who is quite capable of conversing in English. ( Or French / German for that matter ).    On RTTY I have now put a CQ macro in that says NO RUBBER STAMP CONTACTS PLEASE.  As I lose friends that I have known for decades and have chatted to for sometimes and hour or three, I don't see them being replaced with amateurs who are willing to chat.

  We do at least make friends with fellow contesters along the way, so that is another reason for entering them, but they are rarely heard elsewhere!
Perhaps we should have a SKN type of contest with 10 watts max and no antenna other than a wire, no computers etc as Tom suggests!

Regards from Roger, G3LDI
Swardeston, Norfolk.