[UK-CONTEST] UK-Contest Digest, Vol 71, Issue 34

Callum M0MCX callum at mccormick.uk.com
Sun Nov 23 18:57:06 EST 2008

David,

Be assured that I was not poking a finger at your common sense or
creativity, only the nonsense of the whole state of the CRB system.
Additionally, I was suggesting how mad it is to suggest that as an
accompanied visitor to a scout group, one would be expected to have a CRB.
This is not the case - and same with Girl Guiding. I checked with my wife
(District Commissioner) that accompanied visitors are just that..
accompanied. This means that there's no excuse not to be able to be
accompanied to a scout (or guide) meeting to demonstrate amateur radio (BTW,
I'm a CSL).

Like you, this thread can be viewed as utterly pointless in terms of its
value to contesting. However, the easier it is to find methods for us
"oldies" to grab the attention of the youngsters (actually, anyone new in
this hobby) the better a world we have created for ourselves. If it means
that a couple of us apply to the RSGB and subsequently run a few new
Foundation students through the system, it will have been worth it. It's
extremely easy too. I'm currently running 3 x under twelve year olds through
Foundation. If I can do it, anyone can!

I'd like to point one small thing out; Regardless if you have been CRBd or
not, being left alone in a room with a child is not to be recommended
regardless of what rubber stamps you may or may not have.

Cheers,

Callum McCormick
http://www.m0mcx.co.uk/