[UK-CONTEST] 40m to USA long after sunrise

Gerry Lynch gerrylynch at freenetname.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 18:55:39 EDT 2008

Steve Knowles wrote:
> It's not that common (for normal mortals) but it does happen.
It's not really that unusual; especially when, as was the case this
weekend, solar flux is exceptionally low and so is the level of
geomagnetic disturbance.  Also of obvious assistance is an enormous
quantity of metal, high in the sky, at the other side of the QSO...

People often make the mistake of assuming that 40 is a 'night-time band'
for DX contacts but that's far from strictly true, especially around
mid-winter and even more especially in solar minimum.  For example, in
WW CW from the British Isles, the JAs and other things on that path
(KH2s and the like) are usually booming in at our lunchtime, as are
short path east coast VKs and ZLs; I've heard JAs short path as early at
1030Z on 40 in WWCW (JA3YBK, of course, with an ENORMOUS signal).
However, as that is a very high latitude path they are often absent at
sunset because the MUF over northern Siberia drops below 7 MHz at local
midnight, which it already is by the time it is sunset here in late
November.  Similarly in BERU, it helps to be on 40 EARLY to work the
VKs, ZLs and 9Ms without competition.

I also remember sitting in GI3OBO's shack one day between Christmas and
New Year when I lived in England.  Davey uses a bent G5RV at about 8
metres up although he does live within 200m of an easterly seashore.
I'd worked a few DLs on 40 and then we got to chatting about something
else with the rig on.  After a while someone started calling CQ and it
dipped into my consciousness that this was a PA1.  I remarked to Davey
on how weak that PA1 sounded, what with midday absorption and all that.
Davey, who has great CW ears, said, "Crap, that's a JA1."  And on
further listening, it was, although by the time I'd made up my mind to
work him, he'd gone QRT.  It was, I think, 1145 or so.  I've also been
called by W1/2/3s with good, high, 40m yagis less than an hour after
*our* sunset, even in mid-summer.

 From PJ2T last year, I decided to try and see how early I could make
QSOs into Europe from 12 degrees North (outside the contest).  4 hours
before sunset the band was absolutely silent with the antenna on
Europe.  About 3.5 hours before sunset the EA8s and CT3s started
appearing.  From 3 hours before sunset even deep Eu and Middle Eastern
stations could be successfully called, and from about 2.5 hours before
sunset I could generate pileups into Europe, although Eu signals had
that slightly blurredness that comes from spending too much time in the
D layer until maybe an hour before sunset.  This was using 650 Watts and
40-2CD at about 27m with a hill on the path to Europe.  At 12 degrees
from the equator.

So, don't neglect 40 even when the sun is high in the sky!

73

Gerry GI0RTN