[UK-CONTEST] WAEDC RTTY + CW

Nigel G3TXF nigel at G3TXF.com
Thu Aug 6 13:51:31 PDT 2009

More on WAE:

1. Phil, you're quite right, of course. Last year I did
WAE-RTTY from Greenland. I knew there was something odd
about it. Being in "North America" I could work the USA OK
for a QSO, but not swap QTCs with them. [RTTY QTCs, if the
sigs are good, are a real doddle!]
2. There are bucket loads of contests where the exchange is
just the CALLSIGN plus something you can probably guess
anyway. But not the QTCs in WAE. That's why QTCs are fun!
3. An E-mail just received from the WAE people this evening,
reminds us that the deadline for WAE logs has been reduced
from a month to just two weeks. Excellent. Now they should
reduce it to two days, and then eventually to two hours!
73 - Nigel G3TXF

-----Original Message-----
From: uk-contest-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:uk-contest-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Dave
Sergeant
Sent: 06 August 2009 21:31
To: uk-contest at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [UK-CONTEST] WAEDC RTTY

On 6 Aug 2009 at 20:39, Phil Cooper wrote:

> I am always amazed at how many folk play in WAE and do NOT
take
> advantage of QTC's. I always manage to work some who say
SRI NO QTC,
> but I almost fail to understand why anyone would want to
particiapte
> in a contest and then not take maximum advantage of easy
points. It's
> a bit like playing in IOTA and not chasing mults!

You either like QTCs or you hate them. I am in the latter
group.

In many contests a lot of us are just interested in coming
on and working a few nice DX stations and a few others to
keep ones hand in.
As a QRP operator I have always found WAE a frustrating one
- it has no QRP section, you can only work outside Europe,
and it is hence hard for us lesser equipped stations to do
well.

In past years I have usually worked a bit of dx but always
found it frustrating while waiting to break a pileup
somebody asks the chap for QTCs and I have to sit back and
wait for what seems ages. I have never ever sent in an
entry. In current conditions I don't think I will even
bother and will go looking for stuff on the WARC bands etc.

Good luck to those who will be taking part, but it is not my
scene.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com