[UK-CONTEST] 80m CCs : tracking your club\'s activity (typocorrected!)

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Thu Aug 13 02:44:52 PDT 2009

On 13 Aug 2009 at 10:03, dave at g4buo.com wrote:

> Perhaps we could hear some reactions from members of other clubs. Do
> they think it is ok for Three As (and other contest clubs) to recruit in
> this way?

Well as one of the little sprats.....

I must say I have been disheartened by the negative response to Dave's
comments and similarly I was a bit shocked by 3A's recruitment drive.
Maybe it is per se a shortcoming in the CC's format in that there is no
limit on the number of entrants from a club so that inevitably those
clubs who can put on many stations are always going to be way ahead of
others. A change to the AFS format of 4 entrants per team would largely
solve this.

Here in Bracknell we have very few active CW ops and even attempts to
get folks interested in the SSB legs has been pretty unsuccessful. A
combination of most of our members being unable to put up any
respectable size antennas and general lack of interest in hf contests.
We do have a number of 'country members', those who came along to
meetings regularly while they lived in Bracknell and wish to maintain
their support for the club. One of those, not having joined a new local
club, regularly supports us in CC, but is significantly more than 50
miles away. I think it is important to continue to allow such members
to enter CC, but I would draw the line at bringing people in who have
no direct affiliation with a club and are joining in solely to take
part in these events. Ex-University people is also a grey area - I
suppose I could set myself up with a team of other friends as the
'University of Southampton' team, even though G3KMI and the club no
longer exists and it is nearly 40 years since I and my friends left.
You have to be reasonable.

So I would strongly suggest, maybe for 2010, that teams are limited to
4 members max, fully paid up (not honorary) members of that club, and
that there is no 50 mile rule.

But I guess my views are contrary to many on this reflector..

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com