[UK-CONTEST] 80m CCs : tracking your club's activity (typocorrected!)

g4fka at aol.com g4fka at aol.com
Thu Aug 13 10:02:33 PDT 2009

I'm glad you love the thread Nick. Me as well. Just what the spirit of
contesting is all about :-)

For the avoidance of any doubt Brizzle Contest Group is most definitely a
"club" by all these critical definitions. We have a minuted AGM and  several
other meetings per year. We pay a subscription to be members - yes
including those who are not in the Bristol/ Bath area (small minority). We  are an
affiliate of the City of Bristol RSGB Group and most of us pay that
membership as well. We have a Christmas dinner. All of the CC entrants  contribute
to other contests - look at the operators and  set-up crew for our regular
big 3; NFD, SSB FD and IOTA - calls look  familiar? Of course they do.

Many of us are also members of the Shirehampton club and the Bath club, all
 of whom have regular meetings. So if it came to the crunch, 80% of us
could  enter as either RSGB Group, Bath Group or Shirehampton Group if you need
us to  be members of something else. Many of us get together on a weekly
basis - does  it matter that we are in a pub or restaurant as BCG, or RSGB
Group, or  Shirehampton Club or Bath group? Of course it doesn't.

One has only to look at the groups who enter CC to see that they come in
all shapes and sizes from individuals right up to large distributed groups
and  from conventional organised "clubs" to groups of individuals who have
come  together under a group name. That's the whole point - anyone can have a
go under  any guise and most importantly does have a go.

So in my humble opinion it is all about the radio. Getting on the air,
using the bands and making contacts with whatever limited antennas and real
estate we have.

Let us all switch on our rigs and enjoy the hobby.

Geoff G4FKA