[UK-CONTEST] Farmers & Contests

Adrian Rees rees.a at btconnect.com
Mon Aug 17 15:42:47 PDT 2009

Don,

First of all my original email regarding this matter was sent to the UK Contest reflector on the basis that contesters can sometimes get a little over enthusiastic, and ignore some common sense.

The original email was not intended to stir up trouble, nor make a complaint. (I have enough sense to know how to do that). This is why there were no names or call signs in my original email...no names no pack drill. If I wanted to have made a complaint it would have gone directly to those I would be accusing. If I wanted to stir up trouble, I would have included a lot more information than I did. If someone wants to search the internet to find out more then they can easily do that with or without the contents or information in my email. (My QRA Locator is well posted and a 2 second look at the VHF Claimed scores tells the rest).

Secondly, I would not cause deliberate QRM, as you allude to. If I had  been at home that particular night, its likely I would not have known about the operation further up the hill, until either shortly before the contest had started, or just after it had started. After it had started I would have shut down, as has happened on other occasions, to let the "visiting amateur" have a go, in deed a number of local VHF operators email or telephone each other prior to a contest to negotiate a mutually convenient location to avoid problems. Further more on other occasions in the past I have shut down or not operated whilst there are others close by, only last Sunday morning an amateur was operating from the top of the hill on VHF, I spotted him as I went for the papers and I decided against going on air.

Perhaps the boot should be on the other foot, and it could be argued that 100 watts (from the visiting station) at a range of 170 yards would create deliberate interference for me...or more to the point interference and equipment de-sensitisation to the receivers and equipment mounted to the PMR mast, and its comms room, located much closer to the visiting amateur station aerials than I. I am fully aware of the PMR station, and I have very tight narrow band filters fitted to my VHF transmission setup. I take additional precautions in that I reduce power when transmitting South East (the direction of the PMR mast). You will see from the RSGB VHF Contests that I have entered that I don't work stations S.East to me. This is the reason why. Perhaps you can substantiate your comments by providing information as to any track record of how and when I have deliberately created QRM ?
I am not generally active during the week, and only occasionally at weekends. In the past I have loaned "visiting" amateurs equipment, put up masts for them and so on,  so that the problem of transportation and assistance disappears. Making contact, therefore, may have provided a much more efficient station for the visitors. In deed, one of the operators of the station, has been a regular contact of mine the last few years. Perhaps they should have made contact ?

The point I was making was that it may have been wise to try and figure out if anyone else was likely to have been active at the time, in the vicinity, for both parties sake, not only to avoid mutual interference, but also some local information about the VHF PMR setup and how to avoid problems.

To be clear, the original posting was not about "having a pop" it was about being savvy and thinking about what you are doing. Neither was it about causing "deliberate QRM", that was a misinterpretation on your behalf, of the original email. Finally it certainly was not intended to cause trouble. As I have stated at the top of this email, no names, no pack drill in the original email.

Turning to your actions and the email you publicly forwarded on from Dave Wilson. I consider it immflammotary of you to have forwarded this on in such a public manner, without considering the basic facts. But you are the messenger, so shouldn't really be shot.

As to the actual email from Dave Wilson, I consider that particular email to be libellous and defamatory, and indeed an email that seems to have at its core a personal attack on myself, scurrilous in nature as it seeks to involve 3rd parties.  I shall not bother responding in any form of detail to the Dave Wilson email as I do not wish to lower my dignity as I consider a response to be a complete waste of time and effort,  neither do I wish to drag in third parties, into what is plainly turning into a fish wifes battle.

However, should this matter continue, then I shall consider further action.

I consider the matter closed.

Adrian Rees