[UK-CONTEST] Fw: Mega Stations

David, G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 21 11:57:31 EST 2009

Dave

That is with HF band propagation now. In a few years time it will be
different and like I said operation in the high power category leaves us
officially at -6db compared to our competitors. This is a huge
disadvantage. Imagine the size of antenna needed to make up that extra
6dB. It would need a few hundred acres plus a set of very tall towers to
make that up on 160m. Even on 10m it would be more like a HF broadcast
antenna than even a very rich amateur antenna installation.

I do not see that saying just because others will cheat what ever the
licensed power level is, should stop us from trying to get 1500watt
licences. It is to put us on a similar level to our competitors.
Otherwise to be competitive without running more than licensed power, UK
stations will have to enter the 100 watts category and forget the high
power category.

David G3YYD