[UK-CONTEST] 12v down a long run of cable

James Thresher James.Thresher at Jaama.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 12:14:09 EST 2009

I bit off topic, but hopefully someone can assist.

I need to run 12V (no more than a couple of amps) approx 40-45 meters, I am currently using some spare CAT-5 cable I had (Not ideal i know), but i am seeing too much voltage drop at the other end.

Options are using larger conductor cable or splitting it down multiple runs (I've tried using 4 of the Cat-5 conductors per side of the 12v and that hasn't helped) does anyone have any suggestions? Or am i fighting a losing battle and should just look at running mains AC and put in a local PSU.

Please reply direct as this is a bit off topic.

Thanks

73 James M3YOM