[UK-CONTEST] Cables

David, G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 11 11:12:30 EST 2009

Been watching this along with the hard-line thread with interest.

The thing to keep in mind assuming copper is used for the cable and the
outer is 95% coverage or better that the loss of the cable is
proportional to the circumference of the inner. So using a lower average
dialectic value for the inner/outer separator results in a fatter inner
with larger circumference i.e. less loss to maintain the same cable
impedance. The other way of reducing loss is to increase the size of the
outer diameter and thus the inner circumference. Of course a fatter
cable means lots more copper for the outer and for the inner so lots
more cost. In the end it becomes a trade off between loss, cost and
benefit.

The loss in the dialectic separator is virtually zero compared to the
inner conductor loss.

I actually use RG58 to feed my 160m antenna but then it is only 2 metres
from my remote antenna switch which is fed with 8 metres of W103 from
the TX. Using anything fatter on 160m from the remote switch would be a
waste of cost apart from the fact I had a spare length of RG58 with
connectors on anyway.

As for us UK hams, we are licensed by the power delivered at the antenna
not at the TX output. My amplifier output can overcome the coax loss
unless I was using RG58 on 2m then the coax would fail due to the heat
from the inner conductor melting the polythene inner/outer separator.
The skin effect at increasing loss with increasing frequency is a
reality, which means some very high powered coax uses copper tube or
copper plated steel for the inner to reduce cost.

With the dramatic drop in raw copper prices towards the end of last year
should see coax prices come down later in 2009 after the current stock
is replaced with newly manufactured stock. It may be worth while waiting
a while before buying new coax. How do I get access to those with
remnants of  Andrews or similar type coax to dispose of?

David G3YYD