[UK-CONTEST] Cables

Adrian Rees (MW1LCR) rees.a at btconnect.com
Sun Jan 11 14:58:50 EST 2009

Hi Ken, all

I note your comments regarding losses incurred with open wire feeder
under certain circumstances. I do agree with your observation, and some
of my experiments have confirmed these losses and environmental issues
(see later).

In building my station, I originally planned to use the best coax I
could afford / lay my hands on, but due to the distances involved from
shack to aerial, coax is not an option. For example the distance from
the shack to the 14MHz tower is 110 metres plus 20 metres in height. 130
metres. The 14MHz tower is the closest, and the furthest tower is 250
metres plus 20 metres in height.There are others in between.(For those
who have visited Chez 'LCR you know the problems !)

As you can see the cable runs and losses involved are quite
considerable. The cost using RG213 is expensive (even buying in bulk on
1Km drums,and assuming the lorry carrying the drum can get up the
hill.... its expensive). Using LDF 4-50, well, I'll get a small
mortgage!

I have carried out some experiments, using 450 Ohm Ladder line (the
black stuff you get from W&S etc) and home brew ladder line. Firstly the
450 Ohm Ladder line isn't 450 Ohm. Two batches I had, the first measured
out at 370 Ohms and and the second 400 Ohms.

On a 100m run the purchased ladder line showed some loss, as you would
expect when compared to Coax. It was relatively easy to manage and
install. However, it suffered greatly (as you observed) when the weather
changed. Certainly keeping it above 10 feet off the ground helped, (as
opposed to heights of 3, and 6 feet I tried as well) but wind and rain
and snow etc etc caused some real changes in the chracteristics of the
line.

I then removed as much as possible of the plastic and kept it 10 feet
above ground. This helped stabilise it, but still some strange changes,
when the weather changed.

I then repeated the experiment with home brew open wire feeder, using
the classic calculation in the ARRL Handbook to provide the dimensions
of the feeder. Whilst a lot more time consuming to install, it was a lot
more stable than the purchased stuff. In the end I built a 100m run of
home brew open wire line, tensioning the two cables, between two points
made of two 10 foot gate posts, sunk 3 foot in the ground with a
strainer, (just like a strainer post used in fencing) and ran the open
wire line across the top of the posts and insulated with ceramic
insulators.

This worked well, with much more stability in the line. The recent ice
and snow up here did have an effect on the line, but a walk along the
line with a soft brush on a pole gets the snow off.

Foretunately I do live in a remote area of North Wales, and background
electrical noise is very low, and interference is not really a problem.
So I am going the open wire feeder route, hence the references to the
Laport book.

I wouldn't use Open wire feeder, of any type, on runs less than say 50
metres, (or of course as a matching stub, but that's a different story).

So Coax for some instalaations, Open wire for others.

Regards

Adrian MW1LCR