[UK-CONTEST] Beta Testers Wanted

Callum m0mcx callum at mccormick.uk.com
Tue Jan 13 19:17:39 EST 2009

All,

I am aware that you may not believe that software development of the
standard you may normally be accustomed to in commercial products may be
sitting right under our noses.

I have previewed James's work (in this case, "iHam logger") and can verify
that the quality and styling is at a world-class standard for a beta
product. Yes, James was originally my student, however the tables have
turned over the last few months. The only reason James is not an M Zero is
that he's professionally too busy as a founder (and currently) R&D Director
of a 50-man software company. What encourages me is that his personal
commitment to producing a modern logging product is the only thing that
competes with the product that is currently being delivered to his own
business customers. His vision for the future in ham radio (amateur radio)
is extremely futuristic and pushes boundaries that I believe many here will
find very extremely interesting in the months and years that follow.

James, as a typical professional software entrepreneur, will no doubt be
embarrassed or otherwise concerned at my endorsement of him personally and
his skills. I did not tell him that I would produce this statement. I am
also aware that James and I are both of the more modern licensing structures
(M3 brigade) that occasionally means that G3s, G4s etc distance themselves
from us. Please don't. I know we didn't pass the RAE but this does not mean
that Foundation students can't produce either amazing contest results - or
in James's case, amazing software - and indeed, just amazing operators.

It seems to me that James is clearly motivated to deliver a product that
will soon compete at least on a head-to-head basis with the likes of N1MM -
if not with all the current products currently on offer for single station
through to multi-multi and distributed multi-multi style operations
including DXpeditions. In time, I know this will also be a CW and Digital
mode compliant contest and general logger. If you have the abilities and
have the time to Beta-test each of his releases and add value to him in the
form of quality feedback, I know he will be keen to make this work for you.

I apologise in advance for this resounding admission of admiration, respect
and endorsement of James's commitment to the UK amateur radio community but
we have yet to see the best. I encourage you to take a keen interest in his
developments.

Regards,

Callum McCormick
http://www.m0mcx.co.uk/