[UK-CONTEST] 1.8 MHz 1st Test 2010

Andy Cook, G4PIQ g4piq at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 14 02:46:40 PST 2010

I also opted for a little fun on 160 last night. No proper antenna supports
here yet, so top of the Inv-V was only at 35ft with the ends at head height,
and one leg routed and touching trees with the last half all about head
height! I was surprised to keep in touch although not up with the pack for
the first 3 hours, but I think it went badly wrong during the last hour
where the competitive stations were able to run the US.

What was interesting for me was that the ONLY station outside Europe I
worked in the whole contest was NP4A (bang on his sunset), and while there
are lots of spots from the skimmers in the US with good S/N in
reversebeacon.net for UK stations during the contest, I don't appear once. A
real clear illustration in the effects of a high-angle antenna.

Back to painting now & I'll have to get a rope up that big tree!

177 good QSOs, 856 points. Why I get 9 dupes is beyond me!

K2/100, PA, 400W, Inv-V, top @ 11m

73,

Andy, G4PIQ