[UK-CONTEST] VHF Combiner

Ray Hills g3hrh at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 14 03:15:28 PST 2010

Nick,

The impedance you have is close enough to 50 ohms.  You would not notice the
difference.  But shortening the quarterwave sections will introduce
reactance which will also affect the input impedance.  Were it me, I would
settle for the 52 ohms.  Your method of testing is fine in principle.  It
will be as accurate as the SWR bridge that you use.  Again were it me I
would be using my MFJ259 which is good enough for all practical purposes.
In practice the input impedance will be largely dependent on the impedance
of the antennas rather than the actual combiner.  There are several options
for the combiners, e.g. two-one and four-one.  The WIMO web page has some
useful ideas.

Ray G3HRH