[UK-CONTEST] Detuning TX antenna on receive.

David Gould dave at g3ueg.co.uk
Sun Feb 21 09:35:02 PST 2010

I have just put up a K7TJR RX 4-square in preparation for next
weekend's contest.

The TX Inverted-L is about 80/90m away from the 4-sq.

Following the common held view, and also shown very strongly in EZNEC
modelling, I have built the facility that the TX antenna is detuned
on RX.. but out of interest I put in  a switch to override the detuning.

After a range of listening tests last night on US (inc west coast)
and EU stations on the front and off the back I could not detect any
difference when the TX antenna was resonant or detuned.

Has anyone else done similar tests and noticed any difference?  And
if so what sort of degradation did you notice when the TX antenna was
*not* detuned?

BTW the K7TJR 4-SQ..  was working brilliantly, I hadn't appreciated
that it would be so low noise as well as directional, though it
probably could do with a small preamp to equalise the gain to reduce
knob twiddling when switching.

73,
Dave, G3UEG