[UK-CONTEST] Individual Short Contest Callsigns

Chris G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 3 06:01:55 PST 2010

I agree with Ian's thoughts and I think the wrong approach is being
taken by Ofcom.

Ed commented that there are ONLY 520 calls available.

My view is that there ARE 520 calls and ONLY 133 have been issued during
the 15 years the calls have been available.

So, there are still 387 to be issued. We should be trying to get to a
stage when all or most of the calls have been issued, not trying to
stash them away like a Pencil monitor at school.

It is logical that some of the 133 will have fallen into misuse over
that time, so first of all why not contact the holder to see if it is
still required?

Then apply a reviewable limit of say 200 to be issued as per current
rules, (ie another 7 years worth approximately), leaving 320 to be
issued to individuals. Do we really think there are 320 contesters in
the UK who really want a unique contest callsign? It would be nice to
think the were, but in reality I suspect not. I would suggest that when
around 400 - 450 have been issued then a review of usage should take place.

For those who aren't aware, I was involved with the introduction of SCCs
as HF Contests Committee Chair in the early 1990s. Negotiation in those
days was long and frustrating as we weren't allowed access to the DTI.
RSGB HFCC had to talk to RSGB Licencing Advisory Committee who then to
talked DTI and reported back to us. Six to 8 weeks to get a simple
answer to a simple question was the norm! It certainly is a more
efficient process nowadays!

I also hold G8D which was used as GU8D 1998 to 2005, also GU6D in 1996
and GU7D in 1997, in the IOTA contest. G8D is occasionally used, but
less at the moment. As far as I am concerned it is available to any of
the group of 8 or 9 of us and would wish it to continue that way. A
couple of times we have started planning a trip to the Minkies but it
hasn't happened yet!

Chris G3SJJ