[UK-CONTEST] Real-time sharing of logs between stations in AFS teams

Paul_group paul_group at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 09:01:45 PST 2010

On 10/11/2010 16:20, Robert Chipperfield wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 15:52, Paul_group wrote:
>> Why not just spot the station on the public cluster?
>>
>> You said previously that you didn't think it would be helpful to the
>> wider audience. I'm in IO73 and if I see someone in JO02 spotted by
>> someone also in JO02 its still useful to me. If I beam at J002 to work
>> the other station you never know you might also hear me so its to your
>> advantage as well.

> If you think it's reasonable to do this, then that's fine: I'm conscious
> of not wanting to "spam" the cluster, but if the general consensus is
> that the more spots the better, then maybe that's the way forward.

Whether I think it reasonable or not isn't really important, its just my
opinion and others will have other views :-)

But yes, I think in the spirit of the contest if you think the info is
useful then spot it - more qso's for everyone makes more points for
everyone, then the delta created by better operating and technical setup
becomes the deciding factor.

 From what I can see of the UKAC at the moment lots of people are
*watching* the cluster for their own advantage, not many are posting
spots.. that doesn't seem right to me.

Last week I purposely didn't spot anyone and surprise surprise even some
fairly local stations never beamed to IO73 and thus never got into my
log. I even heard a post contest QSO where a couple of guys were
swapping notes, - "oh I missed the one in IO73, I didn't know he was on"

> It'd be wrong of me to claim that I wasn't trying to improve my team's
> score by doing this. Contests are, of course, competetive events!

For sure I understand that - and nothing wrong with striving to get an
edge.

You probably wont have been the first to think of this idea but others
may have implemented it without advertising the fact, otherwise why
would the rules specifically mention private spotting networks.

>> team wide Skype conference open whilst the contest was on for swapping information?

> I guess that's kind of the issue: is it a team entry - that is, a group
> of individuals working together to together maximise their collective
> outcome, or simply the sum of some number of individual entries who
> happen to be called a team? If the former, then it seems reasonable that
> team members assist each other wherever possible and allowed; otherwise,
> probably not.

Whilst I think it should be the later, only the VHFCC can answer that,
not me.

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI
http://www.gw8izr.com