[UK-CONTEST] Eu Sprint SSB

Steve White g3zvw at talktalk.net
Tue Oct 4 01:16:25 PDT 2011

I took part in this one (for my first time) on Saturday. Considering the
fact that this is an international contest, what surprised me was the low
level of activity - across the board. Everyone was concentrated in 10-20kHz
around the 'pilot' frequencies. Incidentally, two of these frequencies seem
highly inappropriate - 7050kHz is right at the bottom edge of fone activity,
so everyone goes HF of it, and using 3730kHz (and just above) is calculated
to upset SSTVers.

So far as participation from the UK is concerned, there only seemed to be
two GMs, two GWs and two other stations from G taking part. I don't think
the competing Oceania DX SSB Contest would affect this one very much, so I
would be interested in others' thoughts as to why so few participate.

QSOs (low power category):
20m: 29
40m: 34
80m: 24