[UK-CONTEST] U.K. contesting in 2012

Chris G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 5 13:01:57 PST 2012

Chris, you only have to read some of the recent negative comments on this Reflector to get some understanding of what is wrong. The mere mention of
that terrible word "amplifiers" seems to bring out the worst. I recall a boring discussion a year or so ago about start and finish times. I didn't
waste my time contributing.

Some years ago when I was adjudicating the IOTA Contest a member of one group rang me to complain that another group had been cheating. The basis of
the complaint was that the group was based in a hotel and using mains electricity. The complainers thought that Field Day rules applied!!!

This theme is very noticeable in the UK where many groups or individuals take a negative attitude and try to make things hard for themselves.

In the recent power thread, did anyone actually say "Oh, I didn't realise, thanks for the clarification, I will up my power now" ??????? Nah, of
course not, they were all too busy snivelling and drivelling!! ;-)

I always recall the comments of a successful contester I have operated with who told me "If the rules don't say you can't, you can." An intelligent
approach, me thinks!

I think you are right about the Cumulatives etc. They don't encourage wider participation. One suggestion might be a team approach in some of the
international events. Say, ARRL DX contests. A group of members each operating individually add their scores, like AFS.

And yes, let's support and encourage contest clubs and groups!!

Come on guys, let's have some POSITIVE comments rather than the usual "Can't Do, Mustn't Do" grumpy syndrome we have to endure!!!

Chris G3SJJ