[UK-CONTEST] VHF NFD MM0BQI/P

mm0bqi mm0bqi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 08:10:52 PDT 2012

Wet, wet, wet or what?  In this particular corner of Scotland there was
heavy rain all last week and it kept going until Sunday afternoon .
Had to cancel the original operation from the Mull of Galloway due to work
commitments and thought a trip to the local high spot would make for a nice
relaxing weekend, how wrong can you be!  Finished work early and headed up
the hill only to find the farmers Warrior stuck axle deep in mud half way
up the slope.  I suspect my Qashqai would have covered about 20 feet before
sinking without trace.
So off I went in search of anywhere high where I could get the car off the
road and some antennas up in the air.  I found another local farmer and got
permission to set up fairly near his house at the head of the valley, well
below the local high spots but at least it was a safe site.
By this time 1800, Friday, the wind and rain were doing their worst and the
mist was so thick finding my way between mast and car was a problem.  Set
up the 6m beam on an 8m scaff mast and used a gin pole (sorry, falling
derrick) to raise and lower the mast as required.  Perfect way to do it as
this was also the 4m mast for Sunday.  Called it a day at 2000 and returned
to our caravan on the coast which is only eight miles from the site.
Following a night of torrential rain I set off in good spirits for the 20
minute drive back to site, I arrived three hours later.  In this part of
East Lothian there are many fords across the small burns that criss cross
the landscape.  Following the previous weeks rain and the constant deluge
during the last 12 hours these little streams had turned into torrents and
made access to the hills impossible from the north side of the
Lammermuirs.  No problem I thought, take the main A1 south (restricted by
floods) then cut across country towards Duns and then north back to the
site, simples!  No such luck, a major road near Preston was washed away and
under about six feet of water.  With assistance from the local constabulary
a route was eventually found to get access to the site.  The eight mile
trip turned into a sixty two mile detour.
Once on site it was the usual, set up the 70cms mast and new I0JXX yagi
(Built like a brick outhouse and certainly outperformed the old 21 ele
Tona).  Operating from the car with two rigs, SO2R controller, rotators etc
etc is no fun as you can't constantly monitor what is going on and I think
some opportunities were missed.  Next year it must be a tent or the back of
a van with all the kit laid out properly.
Managed to get on air about an hour and a half late but the bands were so
quiet with very few stations audible.  Finished at 2000 to give myself time
to get back to the caravan and dry off before Sunday's efforts.  The
rainfall decreased overnight and the fords back into the hills were
passable with a bit care so managed to start on time for 4m but again very
poor conditions and even fewer stations audible.  No EU contacts whatsoever
but pleased to work EI on 4m.
Thanks for the Qs and let's hope for better WX next year.  I will post some
photos on the GMDX Yahoo Group in the next few days.
73
Jim,  MM0BQI

4m, 23 Qs, K3, Spectrum TXVR, 10w, 5 ele Eagle @ 8m.  ODX 549k
6m, 32 Qs, K3, 25w, 5ele M2 @8m.  ODX 585k