[UK-CONTEST] Is it time for contest sponsors to introduce an ident rule?

David g3yyd at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 31 09:41:35 PDT 2012

This could be interpreted: If I want to contact you then I have to say my
callsign. Implication being the "you" does not have to identify. QED a run
station does not have to say his call every QSO, but does, in another part
of the UK licence, have to identify at least every 15 minutes.

Like I said earlier why wait just ask for the callsign as soon as you hear
he is ready to accept calls. I do it and most of the time the callsign is
said either then or at the end of the next QSO.

Alternative which is probably quicker is shove your call in and ask for call
before giving the exchange - risk of working a dupe is probably in the long
term a better policy then waiting for the callsign.

73 David G3YYD

Andrew AC6WI / GI0NWG wrote:

UK Section 2 subsection 13(1)(a)
"The Licensee, or, if this Licence is a Full Licence, then any other
authorised person who uses the Radio Equipment, shall transmit the
Callsign specified in Section 1 of this Licence and any Modifier
applicable under the provisions of this Licence:
(a) during initial calls ("CQ" calls) or calls to establish contact with
another Amateur;"

So, when establishing contact with another amateur, ie a new QSO, an
identification must be given.  So, technically, every QSO.