[VHFcontesting] Re: ARRL VHF Contest

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Thu Apr 24 09:31:25 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 12:00:10PM -0700, John Geiger wrote:
> League loves 2 meter FM, packet, APRS, and echolink
> more than anything else.  If we could find a way to
> incorportate echolink into the VHF contest, the league
> would be all behind it.

I guess I get a diffrent version of QST than
you guys do - mine all seem to have the
"World Above 50 Mhz" in them - this is three
pages of space *every* month devoted to VHF/UHF
weak signal topics.

In addition there is the "Microwavelenghts" by
WA1MBA this is in QST each month now - it is usually
two pages about SSB/CW microwave stuff.

I am not sure how this level of coverage shows
them to be anti-vhf.

> VHF contest involve a contact between the space
> station and a few elementary schools.

This is cool.
This exposes kids to ham radio.

> should all go roving in Semis that have QST or HAM
> written on the back.  These are the things that seem
> to get attention in QST.

Did you notice all the photos on the facing page of
the microwave dishes, vhf yagis and uhf loop yagis?

Amateur radio has many, many sub areas.  QRP, SSTV, digital,
VHF/UHF weak signal, HF DX, ragchewing, phone patches, traffic
handling, and the list goes on.  The ARRL has amateur radio
operators as members.  I think it does a good job of covering
all aspects of the hobby and if anything it devotes more
space in QST to the VHF/UHF weak signal world.

I personally have many diffrent interests in amateur radio
and I have had chances over the years to explore most
aspects of the hobby.

One thing I have always found amussing is that in each of
these sub areas of amateur radio there was always someone
who would claim the "ARRL is out to get ....(fill in the area)".

This has been true of QRPers, DXers, Contesters (hf and vhf),
traffic handlers, CW ops, etc...

If you do not like the ARRL - I have no problem with that - but you
say they are against VHF/UHF weak signal just goes in the face
of the facts.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net