[VHFcontesting] Asking for help getting on 222.

Bill Burgess braillist at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 17 09:42:40 EST 2003

Greetings,

I am also in the process of getting on 220 and faced the decision of what to get and from where.

DEMI does not stock ready-to-ship transverters and builds them to order, and this can take 4 weeks or more to receive.  Kits are readily available and shipped usually within 24 hours of ordering.  I am expecting an assembled 903 DEMI transverter to arrive any day now.  My 222 Demi kit is for the most part assembled but now has a blown oscillator transistor yet to be replaced.  I am in no rush to use them in the January contest  Kits are shipped by USPS Expresspost unless directed otherwise.

Elecraft makes a very neat looking transverter kit for 50, 144 and 222 but cover off no higher bands.  Their transverters also have power output led's on the front panel to show what you are delivering.  But if you are not into kit building and have nobody to peak it for you then kits are not desirable.

SSB items are expensive, possibly due to taxation between Germany and the U.S. but do make a great product.  I have seen one of their 10 gig transverters in operation and it is a very neat and compact item.

These manufacturers seem to keep very close in specs including output and noise figures.  So it is a matter of choice.  Good luck.

Bill, VE3CRU at rac.ca or

Email: braillist at sympatico.ca