[VHFcontesting] Re: Why we ... YADA YADA YADA

Kip K. n2xre at usa.com
Mon Jul 28 13:53:51 EDT 2003

Gerry Hull windev at netmarket.com of W2SZ M/M fame wrote:

> CU2QSO is not going to impact who is in the top ten.

Only captive rovers provide that level of score increasing power!!!

http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/vhfcontesting/2002-June/000722.html

Joe Taylor joe at Princeton.EDU of WSJT fame wrote:

> It has to do with the effect of club-oriented Rovers on the
> total scores of their "home clubs".

> Ev, W2EV: you most likely know all (or nearly all) of the people
> who have used CU2QSO in recent contests.  Would you care to let
> us know who they might be, and what club(s) they might be
> affiliated with?

Yes those darn "club-oriented" rovers - Is that the PC term these days?  Anyone ever ask of W2SZ that same affiliation question? Ever wonder how one can acquire hundreds of QSOs on 1296 & up when the closest competition only logs a small fraction (5-30%).  Its unfortunate the contest writeups never go so far as to address these phenomenal numbers :(  At least now we can gain some insight into the tremendous gaps using the ARRL web scoreboard.  Using June 2002 numbers of SZ vs. closest competitions Q's:

6/02  SZ vs. Closest
1.2G 176 vs. 64
2.3G 124 vs. 44
3.4G 105 vs. 28
5.7G  96 vs. 21
10G   78 vs. 30
24G   35 vs.  2

And its no wonder with numbers like these that there are those who complain to the ARRL (and seemingly sway the tide) whenever there is a request to make the competition logs public or create some sort of opt in-out program.  Here was a noble attempt:

http://www.wm7d.net/az_proj/az_html/vhf_qth_net.txt

Like showing a log would be giving away some sort of trade secret....yea right.  I would more over guess that the secret is the right combination of ops, equipment and location.  Oh yes, and "club-oriented" rovers.

Give it up suckers....hehe

W2SZ & 'SZ squatters rule!(?)

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers