[VHFcontesting] Tnx

Bill Seabreeze w3iy at adelphia.net
Mon Jan 26 07:27:13 EST 2004

Yo,
Just wanted to say TNX to all who hung in there and
persevered with the worst microwave propagation
that most of us have ever seen this past weekend.
It was amazing how signals seemed to squirt out of
the tx antennas and fall into the ozone layer.  It was
still fun to see what was possible in these super-poor
condx, however.  We lost many stations trying to QSY
above 432, even though stuff was working OK.  A
couple of Es QSOs on 6m kept us checking the
band, but the fun was short-lived, apparently in our
locations.

High winds and sub-freezing temps made set-up/
tear down problematic, but it was all still worth it.
We had to cancel the mountain grids due to wx.

We had about 650 QSOs total, which was far less
than expected, but still lots of activity and fun.  Had
to tear down early in driving snow in FM19xa, and
start the slippery drive home. Roof dancing in the snow
is no longer allowed by the rover safety officer.

Good signals on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge for the
last 15min was really fun.  Some mobile snow-scatter
with K1RZ on 3.4G on the return trip was really cool.
We couldn't turn the antenna off-axis, but CW signals
were still Q5.

We had 2 visits from police, which were very friendly
and professional.  One guy actually wanted to keep
our QSL card...neat!

Don't give up the ship...better condx will someday return!
Many Tnx & 73,

Bill W3IY
Christophe ON4IY