[VHFcontesting] Fixing the Captive Rover Problem [was: Fixing theGrid Cir...

N3AWS@aol.com N3AWS at aol.com
Sat Aug 6 17:09:02 EDT 2005

As I write this, I am looking at the 2005 ARRL January  VHF Sweepstakes
Results which appear on pages 96-99 in the August issue of  QST.

When the write-up of the Rover section begins "By moving team  pack-rovering
and grid-circling to a new level, the rover teams of...blew away  the all-time
rover record...set by...in 1999."  One participant CELEBRATED  HIS RETIREMENT
FROM THE ARRL BOARD OF DIRECTORS by joining this  dubious venture.

Hardly seems to me from the sound of this that the practice is  likely to be
declared invalid yet alone grounds for disqualification or  re-classification
as a check log any time soon.  It is clearly in  opposition to the spirit of
the rules.  Let's face it, all of us if we were  so inclined could think of
ways to twist the intent of the rules to raise our  scores and give ourselves
unfair advantages.  Yet we don't.  I hate to  see this behavior celebrated in QST.

Seems to me that N3IQ/R's (ND3F & K8ISK) 1999 record  should be re-instated.

Put the circlers in a separate category.  Let them  compete on a level
playing field--my guess is that the category won't last long  or attract many
entrants once the novelty wears off.

Jim N3AWS
EM50